Monday, August 12, 2019

Ni Hao China!

Ni Hao Friends! I have officially been in China for 4 days and I am just starting to settle into my routine with my dog Angel. I have been to the mall with a supermarket on the bottom, a fruit and veggie market, the police station to register, to a few restaurants, and to my school.

Fun fact about food here in China. They do not really call it Chinese food but they do ask if you want North, South, East or West food. Each geographic location has a special cuisine that has influences of counties that surround that region. It is really unique to the tastes of the cooks as well. I am very excited to continue to explore the food options throughout my years here.

I am in the 10th largest city in China. If you think about a large city you may think it would look like New York City, Dubai, or Las Angeles but that is not the case here. Changchun is full of people but is very clean. There is greenery everywhere and everything is nice and spaced out. Rush hour traffic lasts about 30-45 minutes and driving is like a game of chicken. There are massive apartment buildings in compounds as well as individual houses but they use the space wisely. Parking for compounds is underground. Parking around the city is wherever you can find it. Small shops are located on the very first floor of apartments on the outside of the compounds. Another great use of space is that people are always renovating older buildings.

The school I will be working with is an old factory building. The use of space around the school is so amazing. You can tell the owner has really put his love into the school. Walls are bright and fun colors as well there are zen relaxation areas spread around in space that would be deemed as empty hallways. Classrooms are large and spacious and the staff is so friendly and warm. Everyone gets along with everyone and the administration is there to make sure you are feeling welcome in the school and country. I have been on a tour of the school with a few of the admins and when they talk about the school you can see how much they love working there and admire what is happening.

I am so very excited about starting my season of life in China. There is so much to explore and do in the area and I cannot wait to see more. Enjoy the pictures of the small glimpse of Changchun that I have seen so far!


Part of my Classroom. It is already decorated for the year and I am thrilled!


Zen/ Relaxation Garden in the School right beside the ballet classroom.


One of my favorite things about the school. The PreK bathroom. Look how cute those little stalls are!


Out driving around the city. You can see the stores at the bottom of the apartments.


A view from our walk in the morning by our apartment which is so pretty and green.


Angel and I in front of our building


No comments:

Post a Comment